Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Personal Edition

I am using the SQL Server Personal edition in remote offices with 2 or 3
clients each to connect to our central office server running SQL Server
Standard Edition. I want to use the personal edition because when I am
using replication between each client and main office and the EM will be
useful.
I am having connection problems when I use the personal edition but no
connection problems with the same setup using a developer edition. I
have read in places there are conection issues with the personal edition
but have not found many solutions or even details on the issues. It is
my understanding that the personal edition should work for this setup
and should communicate with Central servers and provide replication
capabilities.
My snapshot works fine but any transactions or Merge replication will
not replicate,I get a can not connect error. Again, the transactions
replicate when I use the developer edition on my client just not the
personal edition.
Can the personal edition communicate with standard edition? How does the
personal edition setup differ in order to work? Where can I find more
information on how to correct the problems (if any)? Are there any other
options (if this is not possible) without buying a stnd edition for each
office?
thanks,
eric.
Eric,
Personal Edition includes a concurrent workload governor that limits its
scalability; performance degrades when more than five Transact-SQL batches
are executed concurrently, which may be the cause of your issues. This is
really to prevent people using it for production systems, and upgrading to
workgroup or standard would solve your issues if this is the case.
Cheers,
Paul Ibison SQL Server MVP, www.replicationanswers.com
(recommended sql server 2000 replication book:
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602p.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment